About City People’s
Celebrating over 40 YEARS in 2019!
Since its beginning in 1979, City People´s mission has been to serve Seattle communities by providing useful, affordable merchandise for customers and a diverse workplace with fair wages and good benefits for employees.
Our other goal is to give back to our communities who have so generously supported us for 40 years. To this end we’ve donated money, goods and services to hundreds of public schools and local charities through the years. Such charities include Children’s Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, JDRF, Fran Nordstrom Guild, Eli’s Park and the Laurelhurst Salmon Bake.
A Tradition Continues
The Laurelhurst neighborhood institution is owned by Kirsten and Kenzel Wilson. The Wilsons grew up in the Pacific Northwest and reside in the Laurelhurst neighborhood and are actively involved in the store operations.
The Wilsons are enjoying the opportunity of owning and managing the business and carrying on the City People’s Mercantile tradition of providing a unique selection of quality merchandise and True Value hardware. “We love being on the floor, serving our customers and meeting our neighbors,” say both Kenzel and Kirsten.
Safe Start Washington
“Our New Normal”
August 6, 2020
City People’s Mercantile is deemed an essential business.
We are following the CDC, Washington State, World Health Organization and Kaiser Permanente guidelines regarding customer and employee safety in our store.
- Mask required for all customers
- Mask provided for customers
- Hand sanitizer available at entrances and garden center
- Disinfecting cashier counters and credit card machine consistently
- Plexiglass separating customer and cashier contact
- Disinfecting high touch areas throughout day
- Practicing social distancing, 6 ft apart
- Limiting access to the Garden Center / nursery
2 people in nursery
1 person in Garden Center
- Carts and hand baskets sanitized after each use
- Temperature check at the beginning of employee shift
- Plexiglass between cashier and the customer
- Following 6 ft social distancing requirement
- Mask provided
- Gloves provided
- Constant daily sanitizing of high touch areas, cashier stations and doors
City People’s Mercantile
5440 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105